Kolkata or our beloved ‘City of Joy’ is undoubtedly one of the top tourist places for a plethora of reasons. There is no dearth of things to do in Kolkata. Kolkata will surely make you fall in love again and again with its infinite charm!
1. Architecture - Kolkata’s heritage buildings are an ode to its rich colonial history and have withstood the test of times. The Victoria Memorial Palace with its art gallery & museum displays various historical artifacts & paintings. The Indian Museum, the largest and oldest museum in India, is a storehouse for rare historical objects including fossils, skeletons, paintings, sculptures and more. You can also hail a yellow taxi and visit multiple sightseeing places nearby of historical significance such as The Writer’s Building, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Jorasanko Thakur Bari, Raja Rammohun Roy Memorial Museum and Library, to name a few.
2. Culinary Expedition - Kolkata is famous for its varied range of eateries which makes it a foodie’s haven. From the affordable and delicious street foods like puchkas, papri chaats, jhaal muri, kathi rolls, and chowmein to authentic gourmet restaurants - the city has got you covered on all fronts. Also don’t miss out on the famous Bengali sweets like Roshogolla, Mishti Doi, Rabri and so on. There are many irresistible international cuisines available here that are equally revered.
3. Temples -If you are fond of visiting religious places, you can spend your day at the Kalighat Kali Temple. Around 200 years old, it is one of the 51 Shakti Peethas in India and is considered a sacred site. Birla Mandir is another gorgeous temple modelled upon Rajasthani architecture. You can also avail the metro to go to Dakshineshwar, another Kali temple situated a short distance away on the banks of Hooghly River.
4. Books -Satiate your bookworm soul at ‘Boi Para’ (transl. Books’ locale) with millions of books alluring you from the stalls! Here, you can also experience a tram ride which is truly a nostalgia-ridden convenience. Finally, you can recharge yourself at the popular Indian Coffee House, or you can opt for Paramount Sherbats & Syrups, a cozy nook often visited by celebrities. You can also stop by the National Library in Alipore which is India's largest library by volume and public record. American and British libraries are also available for browsing and lending books and DVDs.
5. Entertainment - The best thing about Kolkata is its love for entertainment. If you are in the mood for a movie then you can catch a show at Prachi or Nandan which offer amazing single-screen experiences. Or you can take your family on a fun day-out to Nicco Park, a huge amusement park with innumerable rides. You can visit the Alipore Zoo and get a sneak peek at the fascinating animals and birds housed there. Or you can laze around (as Bengalis say- ‘lyaadh khawa’) at Rabindra Sarobar or the Maidan with your friends and a cup of tea.
Whichever activity you may choose to do here, it is clearly evident that there will never be any shortage of unique places to visit in Kolkata.